Threads Monthly: 7
Posts Monthly: 53
Liberty Task Force Forum

Starship 3D Print Review!

8 replies
Votes:
+121
Liberty Task Force
Early in December I decided to order a special Christmas present for myself: a 3D print (or two) of my beloved Casablanca from Gameprint! Since I've been saving literally every penny I make that doesn't go to rent or student loans, I calculated that this was one big expense that I could afford.🙂

I bought the "Fully Colored, 9 Inches" version for $154.99 ... and for my desk at work, I got the mini 4 inch version for $19.99 ... and it just came tonight! I'm so excited about it that I couldn't wait to show you guys. Now, I took these on my iPhone so the quality is not 100% but they're still decent shots.

Now, first...

CONS *dun dun dun*

I distinctly recall it saying somewhere on the website that you could get your ship hand-painted... interestingly enough, I no longer see that written anywhere. When I ordered, the only option was to get it "fully colored"... so I correctly figured that it would mean screen-printing instead.

Now, this is all well and good, as it renders the digital version of the ship skin directly onto the physical model... but that also means that the colors are inaccurate, and it doesn't account for reflectivity of materials. The Casablanca has a metallic hull, and its default color (i.e. when not reflecting its surroundings) is silver with a blue/green tint. However, the models are printed as though the ship is in shadow-- so it looks very black. I think I will purchase some type of translucent, metallic paint and do some edits of my own. Since I am an artist this is a fun thing for me, and I will enjoy it... but still, for the price of the 9 inch model, I would have liked to have seen a more accurate job with the colors and materials. For a $20 model it's of a totally acceptable quality, but for $154.99 I expected more. Also, the print is SO dark that I can't even see the Casablanca's name and serial number on the hull. This makes me sad... and will have to be rectified...

Finally, I wish that a display stand would have been included in the price of the 9 inch model. As it is, I'll have to find something serviceable for purchase elsewhere or otherwise make one for myself.

PROS *enthusiastic cheering*

I think the physical prints are quite good. The little ship is (unsurprisingly) delicate, especially at the nacelles, but at that scale it's to be expected. The details such as windows/etc. are quite blurry, but again, I think it's to be expected. It still gets the idea across and for $20, it's a good buy.

For the large model, I was wondering if it would be printed hollow (to cut corners and save cut cost)... but, color me impressed, it's a solid print. It has a nice weight to it and is actually rather sturdy. The colored details (windows, hull pattern) are quite crisp. The color printing doesn't look smudged, warped, or stretched over the model anywhere: everything appears as it should be, where it should be.

Photo time! First, Mini Casablanca...

So cute, so small, so perfectly adorable. As I said, she's a somewhat delicate little thing. No flying through ion storms for this little lady... but she's perfect to display on my desk at work without worry. 100% worth the price.

Casablanca+-+Mini_1549335104.jpg

And now, BIG Casablanca!

True, the colors are darker than what I would have liked... But she still looks fabulous. After I add some metallic paint, she'll be even better.

Casablanca+-+Big_1549335322.jpg
Compared to this "shadowed" screenshot image of the Casablanca, the print looks pretty darn good.

01-19-2018_4_1549337322.png
True, the 3D print is not reflective and bright as generally seen on STO, but overall I'm still happy with the results.

01-20-2018_5_1549337453.png
CAPTAIN N'Veyan OF THE U.S.S. Casablanca NCC 1942

CLASS: Engineering ... SPECIES: Vulcan AND Betazoid

QUARK: "What are you up to?"
ODO: "I am happy, Quark; can't you just accept that?"
QUARK: "No. It doesn't fit. If you're happy, there's something very wrong in the world. 'The centre cannot hold'..."

Posted Feb 4, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 4, 19 by [LTF] Roboto
List
Undo
Votes:
+90
Liberty Task Force
Congrats robo thats awesome !!! ..... Your hand . ... Cough... Cough.. i mean the ship looks nice ....

What nonsense dark color.. the ship replica is damn good ... man if i was in us i could have ordered one too .... ( saying if i was in us is cause that would mean i will have a us sal
Didnt meant the us postage are too high ... lol )

Congrats.... Show us the big replica in a stand along with your desk pc.... take care to turn ur monitor off !!!......
Posted Feb 5, 19
Logical
List
Undo
[F.A.] GeorgeDp H.F.D.C.
Votes:
+363
Admins
Fleet Admiral
Diplomatic Corps
those are very nice! gratz robo!
i agree on all your comments, especially the stand, but tbh i like that color more than the original... 😁😈
that s what i miss from my life as a single...the freedom to buy whatever comes in your head...😐

(did you make your nails before taking the pics? 😜👻😁)
Fleet Admiral George Goodman
Class: Engineering, currently assigned as
Captain of the U.S.S. Nightfall
tumblr_mnfqchMjpW1qf18uko4_250.gif
Scotty: I'm s... Wha... It... Are you from the future?
James T. Kirk: Yeah, he is. I'm not.
Scotty: Well, that's brilliant. Do they still have sandwiches there?
Posted Feb 5, 19
List
Undo
Votes:
+90
Liberty Task Force

:) she did ...

But man i more on ... about the things you can do while your are single and not the only dependent person in family .... man ... like mel gibson would say ...."FREEDOM !!!"
(Kindly dont remember what comes after that freedom part in the movie !! Just liked the freedom part a lot !!!)
Posted Feb 5, 19
Logical
List
Undo
Votes:
+121
Liberty Task Force

:) she did ...

😆 😆 😆 HA!!! You guys are cute... but no, I did not. I always have my nails done. If you must know, it's a Sunday night ritual of mine... every week! (Yes, Robo is fabulous, you may bow to your queen.)

QUARK: "No. It doesn't fit. If you're happy, there's something very wrong in the world. 'The centre cannot hold'..."

Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP
Logical
List
Undo
Votes:
+121
Liberty Task Force
As to the ship model, I figured it might be helpful to share pics if anyone one else was considering making a similar purchase but was skeptical on the quality. I am so very happy with mine... and I can wait to play with - uh, I mean touch up the colors a bit this weekend.

Also, after making this post I find a thread on Reddit where a guy recommended a place to get a model stand. FlightPose.com has stands that work well for the purpose, so I got one for each ship.

I'll be posting updated photos soon enough... :d

Posted Feb 5, 19 · OP · Last edited Feb 5, 19 by [LTF] Roboto
List
Undo
Votes:
+25
Vice Admiral
Yes, Robo is fabulous, you may bow to your queen.
Er... we knew about part one of that sentence, but that does not stop us infidels from not following up on part two...
😁

Anyway, congrats to your ships. They look really fine and I'd say they actually caught the in-game hue (except for metallic reflection) quite nicely.
Posted Feb 6, 19
[F.A.] GeorgeDp H.F.D.C.
Votes:
+363
Admins
Fleet Admiral
Diplomatic Corps
yes please post images when you finish playing with it and touching it up...em...I mean...oh well...you got the point...I hope...😏 👻

and on that sentence: don't forget we re used to kill the queens we know...(that poor Borg queen still thinks she s eternal... 😛 )
but I wont say anything about 1st part ... 😉

oh, and one pic when you get the stand...
Fleet Admiral George Goodman
Class: Engineering, currently assigned as
Captain of the U.S.S. Nightfall
tumblr_mnfqchMjpW1qf18uko4_250.gif
Scotty: I'm s... Wha... It... Are you from the future?
James T. Kirk: Yeah, he is. I'm not.
Scotty: Well, that's brilliant. Do they still have sandwiches there?
Posted Feb 6, 19 · Last edited Feb 6, 19
Votes:
+90
Liberty Task Force
don't forget we re used to kill the queens we know...(that poor Borg queen still thinks she s eternal... 😛 )

🤣 🤣 🤣 😂 😂 😂

geo ur damn funny man .... what do u do irl for living .... i can imagine ppl around always rolling on the floor from your humor ....

oh, and one pic when you get the stand...

I second this ..... get that stand soon damn it queen ....
Posted Feb 6, 19
List
Undo
You don't have access to join chat channel.
NoticeNotices